Home » Donate to Eltham College » Centenary Campaign » Centenary Campaign Development Since Independence

Centenary Campaign Development Since Independence

ELTHAM COLLEGE'S DEVELOPMENT SINCE INDEPENDENCE

Since Eltham College became an  independent school in 1976, the Governors have overseen a comprehensive programme of development in both the buildings and grounds. This has been achieved by a  combination of careful management of resources, judicious borrowing and the generosity of Old Elthamians and Parents.
Two of the capital developments, the Dudley Witting Swimming Pool and the Gerald Moore Gallery, are the result of generous benefaction by Old Elthamians, while the conversion of the Boarding House into the Music School was  supported by a substantial legacy left by former Headmaster Geoffrey Turberville.

Some areas of the development programme were just too ambitious for Eltham College to manage alone and we had to ask for help from the wider community.

Antony Barnard Hall

Following the successful appeal in 1985 to secure  a performing arts centre for the school, the Antony Barnard Hall, which can seat up to 240 people, was officially opened by Prince Edward. 
Since then it has staged up to 20 plays and musical performances every year from both the Junior and Senior Schools. More recently, as part  of our community access programme, it has been  the venue for collaborations with local state schools.

Eric Liddell Sports Centre

In 1995, with the support of both National Lottery funding and our appeal to Parents and Old Elthamians, the 1930s gymnasium was replaced by the Eric Liddell Sports Centre. The Centre incorporates the Dudley Witting Swimming Pool, a sports hall used for cricket nets, indoor hockey, fencing and other sports, as well as a dance studio and a 24-station fitness suite. The Sports Centre serves both Eltham College and the local community.

Dudley Witting was Eltham College's most generous benefactor of the 20th century. The list of projects he supported includes the tennis courts in 1967, the changing rooms in 1973, the language laboratory in 1977 and the largest project, completed shortly after his death in 1977, the six lane 25 metre swimming pool which bears his name.

Mervyn Peake library

In 1998 the Governors and Headmaster decided to replace the old library and reading room with a larger building on three floors, including larger reference and borrowing sections, a study area for the Sixth Form and two computer suites. Blending sympathetically with the existing facade, the Mervyn Peake library was opened in January 2000.

Junior School

The Junior School (in the Grange) has formed a core part of Eltham College since September 1954. From those early days the school has gradually expanded and despite the addition of an assembly hall and science laboratory, the original facilities were in need of modernisation.
In 2004 a mini fundraising campaign and borrowing enabled improvements to the existing building, and a brand new Junior School teaching wing and hall to be built.

Music School

Geoffrey Turberville was Headmaster from 1930 to 1959 and is still held in deep affection by generations of Eltham College pupils. On his death in 1992 he left the school a substantial legacy. Following a decline in the boarding population of the school, the Boarding House was closed in 2004. However this was to Music's gain, and his legacy was used to convert the space into a Music School, housing practice rooms for the 36 peripatetic music teachers who now provide instrumental and singing lessons for almost 500 pupils from both the Junior and Senior Schools.

 

College Meadow


The year 2004 saw the exciting opportunity to acquire the former COLPOSA sports ground. With the help of Parents and Old Elthamians, the school took over this wonderful sporting provision on a 125 year lease, allowing us to construct our floodlit astroturf hockey pitch. Upon the fields becoming a 2012 Olympic Games training venue, the Governors brought forward the refurbishment of the College Meadow pavilion, which opened in June 2012.
Six brand new changing rooms, a physiotherapy room and a legacy lecture room have been built at the rear of the pavilion. We now have a most attractive facility which will be available for hire as Eltham College seeks to maximise its revenue stream.

Further levelling, draining and irrigation work has been done to the grounds as a result of a generous donation and we look forward to welcoming the Old Elthamians Cricketers in April 2015.
 

King George's Hall

Generations of former pupils will remember the limited space available to serve food to both Senior and Junior Schools in King George's Hall in a lunch hour. In 2008 the hall was doubled in size by extending out towards the Science Block. Lunch is now a much more pleasurable experience, with the hall providing an additional venue for concerts, parents' meetings and other social events.

London Marathon Field

In 2010, we were asked to assume responsibility with a 99 year lease for the London Marathon Fields by the charity Fields in Trust. Thus Eltham College now maintains over 65 acres of grounds for both school and community use.

The Pavilion required no substantial work, but the changing rooms were in a state of poor repair. We were delighted that a generous donor agreed to fund the re-building of the London Marathon Field changing rooms and work was completed by Christmas 2012, providing six multi-sport unisex changing rooms.

In Setember 2014 we welcomed the Mini and Junior sections of the Old Elthamians Rugby section onto the field in preparation for the whole of the Rugby section joining them in the near future.

Gerald Moore Gallery

Gerald Moore had a successful career as a Harley Street surgeon and is a prolific artist, published writer and poet. In addition to a large collection of his own dynamic two and three dimensional work we are delighted that Gerald has donated fine paintings by some of Australia's best known artists.

In addition to Gerald's financial contribution, the Governors supported the development of a state of the art Gallery which would single out Eltham College as a centre for the Arts in South-East London, showing Modern and Contemporary Art from established and new artists for the benefit of the school and the local community.

next page